Microsoft Office 365 Desktop Programs
These instructions apply to the installation of Microsoft Office 365 on Windows computers (e.g., work laptops) that are maintained by Metropolia.
Other related instructions:
- Office 365 Apps download instructions (on students' own computers, not Metropolia computers)
- Cloud services (Microsoft Office 365 ja Google Workspace for Education)
- Microsoft Office 2021 for Metropolia computers (an alternative to Microsoft Office 365)
Office 365 or 2021? Decide which one to install.
Two alternatives are available for Metropolia computers:
Microsoft Office 365 and Microsoft Office 2021. Before you install either one of them, read about them and decide which one is better for your needs.
|Microsoft Office 2021||Microsoft Office 365|
NOTICE: One user can have Office 365 installed on max. 5 devices concurrently, Metropolia computers and home computers included.
Only one Office at any time on the computer
When you install Office, the previous installation is removed from your computer. Only one Office can exist on a given computer at any time. Contact Helpdesk if questions arise.
Back up your files!
It is important to have all the time at least two copies of all files in separate locations. Always before any installations or changes on the computer it is best to prepare for the worst, i.e., that the computer becomes unusable. Even though the risk is small, you should make sure before the installation that you have copies of all your files e.g., on in your Z drive. Using the local hard drive (C:\) of the computer as a permanent storage is not recommended, anyway. Read more about saving files and making backups safely.
Choose the installation time
You should not start the installation on a busy workday morning. Choose a day when you do not need your computer the whole day. We recommend that you schedule the installation for an evening. The computer completes the installation after you have started it as instructed.
If Microsoft Teams disappears
It is possible that Microsoft Teams disappears from your computer during the installation. If it happens, you can get Teams back to your computer as follows:
- In Windows resource browser, open folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Teams Installer.
- 2.Double-click the Teams.exe file in the folder.
- If there is no Teams.exe file in the folder, you can reinstall Teams as follows:
- Open Software Center (in the Start menu).
- Select Teams 1.4.1 Machine-Wide Installer.
- Click on Install.
- Open Software Center (in the Start menu).
The computer restarts at the end of the installation. Save your open files before staring the installation!
- Open Software Center (in the Start menu)
- .Click on All towards the top (the red box in the picture). All is a link and you can click it.
- Click on Microsoft Office O365 (include O365, Project 2021, Visio 2021).
- If you are sure you want to install Office 365 and not Office 2021, and when you have saved all your work, and you can take a sufficiently long brake, click on Install.
- Software Center displays Installing... when installation has begun.
- You will be urged to save you work. The installation takes about 30-45 minutes after which the computer restarts.
- If any Office program is open you will be asked to close it. Make sure that you have saved all your work. Close that all Office programs either by clicking on Close Programs button in the notification window or by closing all programs by hand. Next, click on Continue. If you don’t close the programs they will be closed automatically after 1,5 hours without asking for your permission. If that happens you will lose any unsaved changes in your work.
- The older version of Office will be uninstalled automatically. Only one Office version can be installed on a computer at any time.
- Office installation takes place in the background. Do not restart the computer before the Office installation is finished.
- At some point during the installation you will be urged once again to save your work. Do not click on OK in the window.
- If you are not on campus open the VPN connection. Click here for instructions.
- When you are sure that you have save all your work and you are ready for the computer to restart, click on OK.
- Wait patiently while the computer restarts in a moment. Do not restart the computer yourself.
- When the computer restarts Microsoft Office 2021 is installed. You can start Office programs by clicking on the icons on Desktop or in the Start menu.
Did you encounter a problem?
- Restart your computer and the device where the issue is occurring. Try the function again.
- If the function you are attempting is happening in a web browser, try the function again in an incognito or private window and in a different browser.
- Try searching for a solution on the site of the IT Services by using the following search methods: