Funet FileSender, secure way to share large files
Funet FileSender is a web based application that allows authenticated users to securely and easily send arbitrarily large files to other users. Users without an account can be sent a guest upload voucher by an authenticated user. FileSender is developed to the requirements of the higher education and research community. The service is not intended for permanent storage of files, as the files will be deleted after certain time.
The service is not suitable for transmitting sensitive information.
- Log in to the service with a web browser at https://filesender.funet.fi using the Haka-credentials.
- After logging in, the sender lists the recipients' e-mail addresses. Select one or more files to send your computer, and sets a time limit after which the file will no longer be available. The maximum time period is currently three weeks (21 days) and the maximum file size is 300 gigabytes.
- The email contains a link to retrieve the file within the time limit.
- The recipient does not need to log in the recipient can also be from outside Funet and Haka.
- When sending a file, the original distributor can subscribe to receive notifications by e-mail about the number of times the file has been downloaded.
A user who is not a member of a trust network can send files through FileSender
This is done by the user who is authenticated by Haka by sending him a so-called upload voucher (in the Finnish user interface "kutsu"). The voucher arrives via email, and using the URL in the message, the user can sign in to the service once, assign recipients (anywhere on the Internet), and send the file. The voucher can be sent to several recipients at a time.
Example: Sending a 1GB file to the other side of the world
- Log in to the service with your Haka IDs at https://filesender.funet.fi
- In the To field, type the email addresses of the recipients of the file, separated by commas
- Set the date until which the file will remain in the service
- Select the file to upload from your computer
- Read the terms of service (click the Show / Hide link) and accept them by clicking the checkbox
- Click the Send button to send the file to the service
Recipients will receive a link in the e-mail that will allow them to download the file from the service by their web browser by the set date. Recipients do not need to log in to the service. Recipients can also be from outside Funet and Haka network.
More information can be found on the link below.
- Created by Unknown User (kimmosv), last modified on 8.6.2022